Mally-malon!!

Now, I have never been 100% on the watermelon band wagon. It seems like kind of a crap shoot, flavor wise, and I don't love the texture that much. But then Abigail learned about watermelon, or as she calls it, "mally-malon!" and I am a big fan of hearing her say mallymalon over and over again! Plus, I always love an easy, sweet treat to feed my girls in the summer! So I thought, why not watermelon ice pops?! There are a few different ideas out there for watermelon ice pops, so I tried two different versions.
Version 1: Half a small watermelon and a cup of vanilla yogurt blended together, then frozen.
Version 2: Half a small watermelon and 1 cup of "watermelon zinger" herbal tea, which as far as I could tell was just regular hibiscus tea with a picture of a watermelon on the box :) Obviously, I added a tbsp of honey to the tea.
And guess what? I should have just done what half of pinterest already did and stuck a popsicle stick in a cube of watermelon. The yogurt version tasted too yogurty. And the watermelon and tea version just tasted like watered down watermelon. Neither were terrible, but neither tasted like a true treat. And while I do like that my homemade popsicles are smaller and slightly healthier than a box of fudgsicles, I still want them to taste like a treat! I am a little curious about trying watermelon with a bit of my favorite ice pop filler- cool whip. But at the same time, if my kids love fresh watermelon as is, why would I add extra steps for a ho-hum product?
Next week: "invisible cookie dough" popsicles. It sounds intriguing and definitely like it'll be a treat, unlike the watermelon pops!
0 Responses