Back to basics

This last week, Todd generously offered to keep the girls by himself while I went off to a final family reunion at my grandparents' house before they move. I wanted to leave my family with something sweet and delicious, since I knew they would be outside a lot! And after last week's disaster, I wanted to make sure it was yummy. So I did layered pudding pops again. Stick with what you know, right? 
I made the white chocolate my usual way- make the pudding according to directions and add half a carton of cool whip. But I thought maybe I would swirl them instead of layering them and I wanted the chocolate layer to be fudgier. So, in a stroke of what I hoped would be brilliance, I substituted half the milk in the chocolate pudding recipe with sweetened condensed milk and left out the cool whip. 
Good news first. Boy, it was definitely fudgey! I thought they were really yummy. In fact, they got rave reviews from all the adults who tried them. 
But, as always, a little bit of bad news. Kids were much more meh about them. None of the ones eaten by kids ever got all the way finished. I think a big part of this is that the fudgier chocolate layer doesn't really freeze, I don't think they liked the texture change. It also made things much messier. Also, I really couldn't get much white chocolate flavor, I'll probably stick with vanilla from here on out. 
0 Responses